Overlooking the village is an 11th-century Norman castle mound. The site of the castle in Saxon times was owned by Morcar, also known as Morkere, the brother-in-law of King Harold. His grandson married Lady Godiva. The castle, which gave its name to the village, was built soon after the Norman Conquest and was given by the Conqueror to his half brother Odo, Bishop of Bayeux and Earl of Albemarle; it was later owned by William le Gros, 1st Earl of Albemarle, and was burnt in the 15th century during the Wars of the Roses.
In 1221, after a siege, the castle was destroyed by Henry III with the help of Hugh de Mortimer II and William de Warenne, 5th Earl of Surrey. It had been defended by William de Forz, 3rd Earl of Albemarle aided by William d’Aubigny[disambiguation needed], Sir Richard Siward, and Henry de Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings.
In the 16th century John Leland described remnants of the castle: “yet remained great walls of buildings”.
- : Grantham
- : Castle Bytham
- : Lincolnshire
- : United Kingdom