Chilbolton Observatory is one of Hampshire’s finest abandoned airfields. During World War II it was once home to squadrons of Supermarine Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs, Typhoons, and Vampires.
Opened in 1940 as a satellite airfield for RAF Middle Wallop it was used by the RAF and USAAF.
After the war it was used for flight tests before being closed in 1961. Today it is the site of Chilbolton Observatory, a facility that carries out atmospheric and radio research.
The footage in the video below was taken using a DJI Phantom Vision+ quadcopter drone in June 2014. You can clearly see that the car park of today was once part of the main runway.
The airfield was an operational base for a squadron of Hurricanes during the Battle of Britain. The image to the right shows the airfield in 1944 when CG-4As gliders and C-47s transports gathered there in preparation for operation Market Garden.
Today, crop marks in the fields reveal the locations of two of its three runways while in this image the runways, dispersal points, and perimeter track can clearly be seen.