Flying in freezing weather

Home Forums Drone Gear Flying in freezing weather

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nishgau 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

EricHanscom
    Participant

Hi Folks, I was recently flying in England and the temperature was around freezing. I noticed that the batteries drained very quickly. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

edupin
    Keymaster

I never did it at such freezing temperatures but it is a well known issue with electric powered engines, battery life is way shorter when in cold weather conditions. Even Tesla owners have noticed that, as you can read here:
    Tesla Model S Could Lose Up To 40-Percent Range In Cold Weather

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  edupin.

EricHanscom
    Participant

I read somewhere that dronists in freezing weather put their batteries in their pockets to keep them warm. I’ll try that next time.

mbernholdt
      Participant

Hey Eric
      Just saw your post, just tuck your batteries under you coat as close to the body as possible. I had a few battery warnings because frozen batteries last winter.

Flew in minus 10 Celsius once and the battery drained much faster think they were dead after 17 minutes, so its a good idea to keep the drone within sight in freezing weather conditions.

EricHanscom
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. When I was in England, keeping the drone within sight was NO problem since I could keep it up in the air for only around 45 seconds per battery, ha ha. But, I will definitely try keeping the batteries next to body heat next time.

Fines_Aerial
    Participant

Hi,

I fly all winter in Minnesota – very cold.

Keep the batteries warm (at least 25deg C, preferably warmer) right up to the second you put them on the craft. In the winter I keep then in an insulated cooler with a couple microwavable hot packs.

On the Inspire 1 Pro I also wrap a chemical warming pack around the battery when flying. I have found that the ones that are foot shaped and made to go inside a boot fit fairly well. Next winter I think I’ll just make a 5ml neoprene sleeve.

If you can start with warm batteries and keep them warm for the first 2 (or so) minutes of flight they will then generate enough internal heat to sustain the rest of the flight. Using this routine I get almost normal flight times at 0 deg C and 10 minutes at -20 deg C.

nishgau
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.