The Rosema and Klaver coal-fired brick factory started production in 1933.

Although the quarry enabled the construction of the surrounding infrastructure, its intrusive operations met with community pressure in the 1980s, resulting in a court order giving the company 10 years to close own.

Mining operations were curtailed when the quarry excavation hit one of many underground springs, and this together with economic pressures and a “workers‟ strike, resulted in the mine closure around 1993.

The sight is now under construction for a retirement village.

More infos...

9 February 2019

Categories