This medieval village is situated on a granitic massif sculptured by the river Ance.
The castle built in the year 1000 is lived until 16th century, it is up to the family Polignac.
The village counted up to 1200 inhabitants, about ten live there at present in the year.
The path borrowed by mules was the stopping-off place of the goods passing in transit between Velay and the Valley of the Rhône. A tax was taken at the level of the bridge of the devil.
According to the legend, this "bridge classified as Historic Monument" owes its name to a Lord who treated with the devil to protect him from floods of Ance.