CLERMONT's past is linked to that of Agen. Many Roman remains are found in the region, in the village of Clermont, one can see portions of the foundations of Roman construction.
The town of Clermont was already occupied during the Roman rule. In the Middle Ages the end of the high promontory was surrounded by thick walls and solid. A small castle was built to defend the east side of the village. The fortified church also served as a dungeon in wartime. When AMAURY of Monfort laid siege to CLERMONT BELOW en1221, the church and the castle was already discussed in the text of the castle "very strong" in CLERMONT BELOW
In the Middle Ages Clermont-Dessous becomes stronghold. Was stately jurisdiction and became marquisate.
Among the lords of Clermont From the 11th century we mention the family De La Mothe Pardaillan, De Malvesin Lassalle, De Monorgon, De Peticloo, Izalguier who married a daughter of Blaise Monluc at the Church of Clermont, De Narbonne Lara. In 1705 Louis de Narbonne Lara leaves the lordship to his daughter's husband Jacques Gabriel Marquis Chapt Rastignac, the last Chapt Rastignac stone Jean Julie Chapt Rastignac, dies in 1833, leaving an only daughter Zinaida Chapt Rastignac, wife the Duke of La Rochefoucauld. The lordship was dismembered in 1850.