In a drainage close to the ghost town of Glendale, Montana sits the ruins of 23 charcoal kilns. Canyon Creek Charcoal Kilns were constructed in 1881 and used until 1900. They transformed 11,665 acres of pine trees into 19 million bushels of charcoal.
Coke was shipped in from Pennsylvania and together they fueled the smelters in Glendale. The roaster glowed red as the three 50-ton blast furnaces roared. Bullion from the Glendale furnaces was melted into 90 pound silver bars and shipped to Omaha for final processing.
Some of the kilns were whitewashed to help keep the smoke inside. In 1900 the mines were closed and the smelter at Glendale torn down. The unused kilns fell into ruin. The Forest Service has been stabilizing the kilns and now Canyon Creek Charcoal Kilns is one of the best preserved kiln sites in Montana.
This sequence was captured with a Canon Vixia HFS-100 camera and a GoPro Hero3 Black on a DJI Phantom quad copter (drone). It was edited with Adobe Premier Pro 6.
Music is "Lightless Dawn" by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a CC Attribution 3.0.